Sunday, March 27, 2016

Borghese Gallery


One of the things I had planned for Rome was the Borghese Gallery. I was very glad that I had booked my tickets ahead of time rather than just showing up at the gallery as the tickets were sold out until Friday. You pick a time slot and are given two hours in the art gallery. I decided to splurge on the audio tour. The inside of the gallery is beautiful, there is just so much to look at and see. I ended up on the second floor of the gallery which threw off my audio tour as I was confused thinking I was on the first floor so the numbers were not matching up. I figured it out and headed for the first floor to start over. It was a good choice as I was starting to get frustrated and was confused about the numbers. Walking around looking at all the art and being able to get the descriptions of each room was very enjoyable so I thought the €5 audio guide price was worth it. I normally skip audio guides but this helped me out as there was a lot to look at.




Apollo and Daphne by Bernini ^


David by Bernini ^




I wandered around each room admiring the sculptures and paintings covering the walls and ceilings. The gallery was started by Cardinal Scipione Borghese, the nephew of Pope Paul V who was an avid collector of Caravaggio and an early patron of Bernini.











David with the Head of Goliath by Caravaggio ^


Young Sick Bacchus by Caravaggio ^


Madonna, Child and Serpent by Caravaggio.^





Truth Unveiled by Time by Bernini ^


Pluto and Proserpina by Bernini ^



Leda by Michele di Ridolfo del Ghirlandaio ^




Deposition by Peter Paul Rubens ^

Susanna and The Elders by Peter Paul Rubens^


Sacred and Profane Love by Titian. ^


If you have time while you are in Rome, I highly suggest giving this gallery a look. I also suggest booking in advance as tickets are limited. The location of the gallery is Villa Borghese gardens and can be easily reached by the Piazza di Spagna metro stop though I walked from the hostel I was staying in. I really enjoyed this art museum as its full of beautiful masterpieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment