Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Museum Geelvinck Hinlopen Huis


Museum Geelvinck-Hinlopen is a canal-side mansion in Amsterdam that I visited with the I amsterdam card. The house was built for Albert Geelvinck (1647-1693) and Sara Hinlopen (1660-1749). Albert Geelvinck came from an upperclass family, who had gained their wealth through merchant shipping. He married in 1680 to Sara Hinlopen, who came from a family of Flemish cloth merchants.

There are many gardens on the estate, the back garden is in the Renaissance style and the front garden is formal and symmetrical in the French style with a large pond and fountain.

Entering the museum to the main floor there are four rooms open to the public. On my visit I was guided around by one of the lovely women that work at the museum. She gave me a nice tour of the rooms, telling me about their interesting history and decorations.

At the time of my visit the museum was hosting a piano festival and there was some beautiful playing going on as I wandered through the rooms.













The museum is free with the I amsterdam card or €9.00 for adults. It is open everyday except for Tuesday from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. 
Closed on Tuesdays 

No comments:

Post a Comment