Monday, April 7, 2014

By Lake Maggiore in Arona.

Today we were off to the lake to see the antique market that they have one Sunday a month in Arona where Sergio had a stand set up.
We were fortunate to get a ride with Vittoria and Luca in their Fiat Punto instead of taking the train. The drive was very nice, the hair pin turns on the hill down to Arona were a little less but Luca handled them like a pro. We found a parking spot and headed past the train station to the lake where along it was set up all the stalls selling different collectibles and antiques.



Arona is a town on Lake Maggiore or Lago Maggiore.  In the distance you can see Rocca Borromeo di Angera or Borromeo Castle.

The castle contains a Museo della Bambola (Doll Museum), founded in 1988 by the wish of Princess Bona Borromeo Arese, and displays over a thousand dolls made between the 18th century and the present day.

The Borromeo family is an old family said to date from before the twelfth century, were counts of Arona from the mid-fifteenth century. 

There are many lakes in Lago Magiorre and they are called the Borromean Islands after the family but they each of their own names. Isola Bella, Isola Madre, Isola di San Giovanni and Isola dei Pescatori.


We stopped at Sergio's wonderful stand containing some very beautiful pieces.  The purple vase? Decanter? in the photo below makes me think of Shawn and the similar piece she had in her bathroom in Vancouver before it broke.



We posed for photos on the lakeside, the view beautiful. The boats behind are ferries to take you across to the different Islands. Vittoria, me and Luca.

Yasmin was forced to pose with me for photos. The poor thing.

Marianna has been so helpful and lovely with everything. I am glad that I was able to get in touch with her through facebook.

The market stretched across the lakeside and it was quite warm out. I was glad I did not dress any warmer.

 The boy in the blue shirt was teasing the poor swans. We all agreed that we wanted the swans to bite him and I wanted to knock him into the water.
Rocca Borromeo di Angera closer up.
We ate lunch at a restaurant called Haiti and I enjoyed a tomato, mozzarella and prosciutto ham. It was very good. We had gone to a restaurant across the road but they said it would be forty minutes for two sandwiches. No thank you. I am glad we went to the one we did. It was very tasty.

 After lunch we walked next door to have gelato and I was very glad we did as it was so good. All gelato is good in Italy but this was very nice after lunch and on such a warm day. I had tiramisu and coconut. I could live off gelato I think.



 After the gelato we walked to the station and purchased our tickets to head back to Domodossola. We had wanted to go to Stresa to get better views of the Islands but due to the times of the trains it would be late before we got back. We had to wait an hour for our train so we walked back to Sergio's stall to have another goodbye.

Home again after such a beautiful day.  I had a long nap resulting in a late supper.

Today we go to Mozzio again for lunch, tomorrow I meet with another Canadian in Domo and Wednesday I get up bright and early to head to Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment