Thursday, October 23, 2014

A very wet walking tour


After my stroll through the Noordmarkt and my delicious apple pie I had intended to walk through Haarlem before going to Dam Square to meet up with the walking tour I had booked. I was taking the Sandemans New Europe Walking Tour which is a free tour, so no need to pay before hand except if you secure your spot online which is €3. The tour operates on a tip basis that you give the tour guide after the tour has completed. If you are not satisfied or do not have much to tip, just give what you can or what you think the tour deserves. This is my forth tour with Sandeman's having taken the tours in London, Edinburgh, and Barcelona. There is a tour in Liverpool that I have been debating taking just to hear another side to the city I am now calling home.

The tour starts in Dam Square at the National Monument and you can go either at 11:15 or 2:15.  The tour is three hours so prepare yourself for the walking.  They try to cover a lot of sights but things can change along the way.

The walking tour took us to the Old Church, The Red Light District, The Jewish Quarter, the Royal Palace, The Jordaan District, The Anne Frank House, The Dutch East India Company, The Begijnhof Convent Gardens, The Civic Guards Gallery, the Widest Bridge and the Narrowest House.

The guide Michael was very funny and kept us entertained throughout the walking tour. Unfortunately the weather was not being very kind to us and it was raining pretty heavily making it a bit hard to enjoy all the sights.







Luckily halfway through the tour the weather changed and the sun came out to say hello. 


























Please excuse the squinting photographs of myself. Was looking right in the sun. Very flattering. The new look for fall. 

I really enjoyed the walking tour, I like learning about cities and being shown around by guides that no exactly where they are going and finding things I may have missed in my own research of the city. I highly rate Sandeman's New Europe tours and will continue to take them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment