Thursday, March 6, 2014

The wind is rising. We must try to live.

March 4th,
The day started with gloomy conditions. It seems like rain is determined on causing grey skies for my weeks off. Is it trying to tell me something?


We were off to a slow start, venturing outside of the house into the wet and cold in search of Tacofino Commissary along Hastings. It was kitty corner pretty much from Red Wagon except one building over on the North side of the street. Tacofino is located in a white washed building. There is currently no awning to identify it so we struggled a bit to locate it. Knowing it was there somewhere I found the 'Tacofino' on the wooden portion of a door and we were set. A few minutes earlier we found shelter under a less than waterproof awning in front of a pet store.

Upon entering the restaurant we were welcomed by clean whitewashed walls, twisted copper pipes holding onto lights containing different type of cacti. I love that. Very unique. The place has communal seating but you can also find a few seats along the wall for couples or quads by the window.

I had heard of Tacofino the first time by watching the Food Network, I cannot remember the show but it was showing the food truck located in Tofino, BC by Long Beach. Long Beach has always been one of my favourite places and Mexican food is one of my favourite foods so I was quite interested in the food truck.

I had first had the chance to try the food truck at the food cart festival in January and enjoyed the Chocolate Diablo cookie and their fish taco which were delicious. I was excited to try more of the menu and was glad my cousin Jen of My Sentimental Jamboree gave my inspiration to fill my tummy with more yummy food.






I had the pork jowl taco with cabbage, fried shallot, pineapple and sriracha and paired it wit the yam tempura taco with cabbage, avocado, plum vinegar-soy. They were both so delicious. I could have had ten more. Highly recommend getting some of their tacos. They are $6 each or 2 for $10.


My mother got the bean and cheese burrito with salsa fresca and crema. It normally comes with sriracha but she opted not to have it on her burrito. She gave me a taste and I must say it was very yummy.

My sister got the Chorizo Verde and Cheese burrito with cheddar, cabbage, salsa fresca and crema. It was very good. Definitely nothing left on our plates when we were done.

For dessert we tried all three of the ones on offer. I got the milk and cookies which is delicious horchata and two chocolate diablo cookies. So good! My sister got the banana churros with ibarra chocolate and banana sriracha ice cream. One of the dishes I enjoyed the most was the one my mom ordered. The lime curd vaso with brown butter graham crumb and whipped cream. It was delicous. Definitely a competitor with Casa del Sol's key lime pie.







And then there was none. The food was good, the details of the metal dishes and wooden plates were a nice touch. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys Mexican cuisine. 

After lunch, we headed back to Shawn's house where mom had a nap and Shawn and I did some driving to practice more for her road test. After a bit we came back, captured Ricky in his cage and took him off to New West for his shots at the vet.





After the vet we did some banking in the area before heading over to the Terminal Pub to get some amazing grub. My friend Earlin introduced me to this place and I think it's the cat's meow for good pub food. Sunday to Thursday they have Appy Hour serving 2 for 1 appies from 3-6 pm. I got the truffle waffle poutine as well as the chicken quesadillas. My mom and sister both got the top sirloin which was very tasty.








After dinner we brought Ricky home and bombed over to the Silvercity Riverport to watch the Wind Rises by Hayao Miyazaki about an airplane engineer who designed the Japanese fighter planes during World War II.

I was very happy to be able to watch this in theatres as I am a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli films such as My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle.

The quote in the title of this blog post is from the movie. "The wind is rising. We must try to live." This line is from the poem The Graveyard By The Sea by Paul ValĂ©ry. Click through on the link to read it. I would have posted it but it is actually quite long.




No comments:

Post a Comment